Why Join Altec?
If you're considering a career with Altec, Inc., there's never been a better time to join us! Our Company was founded based upon values that place the customer first, and view people as our greatest strength. Altec has continued to grow, utilizing the same basic values, and over the years, those values have helped us to earn the trust and confidence of our customers worldwide.
Our Company: Altec Inc., founded in 1929, is a privately held company headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama. Altec specializes in the manufacture, sale and service of aerial devices, digger derricks, cranes and specialty equipment for the electric utility, telecommunications, tree care, construction, and light and sign maintenance industries in more than 120 countries.
Our Vision: To be recognized by customers as the preferred supplier of products, services and solutions in all markets we serve. Our values sustain that vision.
Our Values: Customer First, Enjoyment of Work, Family, Financial Stability, Integrity, People Are Our Greatest Strength, Quality, Spiritual Development, Teamwork.
Reporting to the General Counsel of Altec, Inc., the Associate General Counsel, Employment serves as a resource and partner on employment law issues to Company leadership and the Human Resources Team. Counsel provides pragmatic employment law advice in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. Must have strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills to effectively and efficiently impart guidance, coaching, training, and directives for all levels of the company.
Job Responsibilities (Examples of Work Performed)
• Serves as a subject matter expert in all areas of federal and state employment laws.
• Provides timely and practical legal advice on a variety of employment law issues such as hiring, performance management, disciplinary action, terminations, discrimination, harassment, internal investigations, contingent worker issues, reasonable accommodations, leaves of absence, wage and hour compliance, non-competes and non-solicitations, and general employee risk management.
• Provides employment law compliance training to managers and supervisors
• Works closely with Human Resources and business leaders at Altec to coordinate and supervise responses to administrative charges, demand letters, and other potential disputes through negotiation or mediation.
• Reviews and responds to regulatory actions, including EEOC actions, and manages outside counsel on these and other employment issues.
• Provides advice on legal compliance issues impacting employees (e.g., OFCCP, I-9s, disability, FLSA, FMLA, etc.) and assists as needed in developing strategic plans for employment-related matters, including but not limited to, policies, procedures, litigation, and pre-litigation matters.
• Works closely with others to bring a single scope of perspective across our multiple businesses and will be positioned to pro-actively spot geographic and site trends and share lessons learned with key stakeholders.
• Maintains thorough understanding of the business, company's business strategies and employment liability environment to ensure sound legal counsel and advice in all matters affecting the business to maximize opportunities and mitigate risk and exposure.
• Research and implement proactive approaches, methods, to limit and lesson employment liability exposure.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the General Counsel and Sr. Leadership.
Education level required: Juris Doctorate
Experience Required: Minimum 10 years’ experience post-J.D. in employment law in a corporate role and/or law firm
Location: Must work on-site at Birmingham, AL Corporate Headquarters
Soft Skills: Strategic thinking; strong drive for results; business-minded; strong managerial skills; ethical with a high degree of personal integrity; ability to leverage resources and lead teams without direct reporting authority; highly accountable; transparent.
Altec offers a competitive salary that rewards performance and dedication, along with a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
Medical, Dental and Prescription Drug Program
Retirement 401(k) Program
Vacation and Holidays
Flexible Spending Accounts
Tuition Assistance Program
Employee Assistance and Mental Health/Substance Abuse Program
Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Altec Industries, Inc. and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers and maintain affirmative action plans to recruit, retain, develop, and promote qualified individuals without unlawful consideration of race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Altec strives to maintain a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and harassment, where associates are treated with respect and dignity.