Why Join Altec?
There has never been a better time to join Team Altec! Our Company was founded based upon values that place the customer first, and view people as our greatest strength. We remain committed to total customer satisfaction in everything we do. That's why today, Altec is an innovative, financially sound company that is setting the standard of excellence in design, manufacturing and service.
Altec Inc., founded in 1929, is a privately held company headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama. Altec specializes in the manufacture, sale and service of aerial devices, digger derricks, cranes and specialty equipment for the electric utility, telecommunications, tree care, construction, and light and sign maintenance industries in more than 120 countries.
At Altec, advanced technology efforts are aimed, without exception, at helping customers work "Safer and Smarter." Altec invests more resources than any other manufacturer in the advancement of safety, reliability, uptime and low cost of ownership.
Our Values Sustain Our Vision:
Altec continues to pursue a singular vision: To be recognized by customers as the preferred supplier of products, services and solutions in all markets we serve. Our values sustain that vision, our goals build upon it and our associates help to achieve it. Our Values: Customer First, Enjoyment of Work, Family, Financial Stability, Integrity, People Are Our Greatest Strength, Quality, Spiritual Development, Teamwork.
The purpose, responsibilities, and minimum qualifications of this opportunity are as follows:
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Provides payroll tax service support to local and field representatives by responding to and researching payroll tax inquiries. Works with third party payroll tax provider on payroll tax issues. Includes specific responsibilities for ensuring the accuracy of preliminary and final payroll and tax reports. Monitors and reconciles payroll taxes at multiple levels within the organization.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (Examples of work performed)
• Establishes and maintains State and Local tax rates and information in PeopleSoft/Oracle
• Registers and maintains companies with taxing government agencies / tax processors.
• Assists with files and maintains incident reports regarding tax notices: i.e. Tax Assessment Notices
• Assists with audits of end of year information for W-2s and processing of W-2Cs.
• Researches and reconciles payroll taxes from prior periods
• Creates and maintains queries related to tax, unemployment, and incentives
• Communicates with field HR Associates and taxing agencies to resolve associate tax issues
• Works with BPO (ADP or other payroll processing agencies) on quarterly tax balancing and filing of tax returns in all applicable US jurisdictions.
• Assists with reconciliation of payroll tax reporting to ensure accurate filings by tax service provider
• Assists with audit and implementation of quarterly tax updates in PeopleSoft/Oracle
• Assists and completes special projects and research as needed
• Provides training and direction to HR team members as needed or requested
• Performs other duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: (Note: A higher level job may be offered if the selected candidate possesses the education, experience, and competencies commensurate with a higher level in the job series)
• High School Diploma or GED required
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required
• Microsoft Office Suite and other office management applications preferred
• One year of Corporate Accounting experience preferred
• One-year Payroll or Corporate tax experience preferred. Multi-state tax experience highly preferred.
• PeopleSoft Payroll Experience preferred
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent troubleshooting skills
• Must be able to work with team members
OTHER POSITION SPECIFICATIONS:
• Demonstrated record of responsibility
• Extremely detail oriented
• Customer Service Oriented
• Motivated, goal oriented and persistent
• Maintains Company confidentiality
• Must handle stress and deadlines well
• Participates in Continuous Improvement Initiatives
• Travel 0-25%
Responsibility to Prevent Errors:
• Ensures appropriate reviews have been performed as needed for high quality
• Continuous attention to all job functions ensuring quality products
Communication with Others:
• Requires outside and inside contacts to carry out company policy and programs; Improper handling will have considerable effect on operational results; Must often deal with matters requiring explanation, persuasion and obtaining of approvals
Altec offers a competitive salary that rewards performance and dedication, along with a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
Medical, Dental and Prescription Drug Program
Retirement 401(k) Program
Vacation and Holidays
Flexible Spending Accounts
Tuition Assistance Program
Employee Assistance and Mental Health/Substance Abuse Program
Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Altec Industries, Inc. and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers and maintain affirmative action plans to recruit, retain, develop, and promote qualified individuals without unlawful consideration of race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Altec strives to maintain a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and harassment, where associates are treated with respect and dignity.