Ensures the facility complies with all current environmental and safety regulations. Works to develop, implement, monitor, and manage environmental and safety programs, policies, and procedures. Maintains environmental records and interfaces with regulatory inspectors on behalf of the facility supported. Evaluates the facility’s procedures, facilities & equipment to identify compliance with environmental regulations and Altec environmental policies, programs, and unsafe conditions needing improvement. Identifies & evaluates detrimental working conditions & makes adjustments to safeguard associates’ health. Maintains safety and environmental records.
• Maintains compliance with Air Emission Program, Emission Tracking, and reporting requirements.
• Assists in permitting for Air, Storm Water, and Waste registrations.
• Coordinates and conducts Waste and Storm Water sampling and conducts monthly and bi-weekly storm water audits.
• Conducts environmental and safety training and education programs, and demonstrates the use of safety equipment.
• Serves as the assistant Primary Emergency Response Coordinator and Assistant Spill Team Leader for HAZWOPER certified responders at the facility
• Maintains the MSDS database at the facility.
• Coordinates the maintenance of the spill response equipment and countermeasures at the facility
• Coordinates and communicates "right-to-know" programs regarding hazardous chemicals and other substances and manages the Hazardous Waste Program.
• Conducts Hazardous Waste, Storm Water, and SPCC Audits, per Altec programs and policies.
• Serves as primary contact person with EPA and OSHA regulatory agencies.
• Involved in accident investigations
• Conducts Job Safety Analysis (JSA’s)
• Maintains all Environmental and Safety Governmental records.
• Manages and administers the Altec APSMS system the online (ACIMS) MSDS records for the facility.
• Manages DOT Drug Testing for the facility.
• Leads and coordinates Environmental and Safety Compliance and Worker’s Compensation RCI events.
• Participates in environmental and safety orientation and training for new associates.
• Develops & maintains industrial hygiene programs such as noise surveys, continuous atmosphere monitoring, and ventilation surveys.
• Develops and maintains medical monitoring programs for associates.
• Inspects and evaluates workplace environments, equipment, and practices, in order to ensure compliance with safety standards and government regulations.
• Completes and files all Environmental and Safety regulatory reports and submits required governmental reports for EPA and OSHA compliance.
• Inspects specified areas to ensure the presence of fire prevention equipment, safety equipment, and first-aid supplies.
• Investigates accidents to identify causes and to determine how such accidents might be prevented in the future.
• Investigates health-related complaints, & inspects facilities to ensure that they comply with public health legislation & regulations.
• Maintains and updates emergency response plans and procedures.
• Maintains inventories of hazardous materials & wastes, using waste tracking systems to ensure materials are handled properly.
• Provides new-employee health and safety orientations, and develop materials for these presentations.
• Interfaces with the Corporate Environmental Manager and Corporate Safety Manager regarding implementation of the Corporate Environmental Program and Corporate Safety Program.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Candidates with BCSP credentials and certifications are especially desirable.
• Four year Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Occupational and Safety, Environmental Science, or Environmental Engineering; OR High School diploma plus four years Environmental & Safety experience at an Altec facility in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree. At least one year of experience in Occupational Safety and environmental regulations experience at a local, state, or federal agency preferred.
• Basic S&H Principles – Experience must include understanding of the following:
o Basic application of regulatory standards (OSHA or DOT) - OHSA 30 hours training
o Application of simple hazard assessments (e.g. JHA/JSA)
o Basic Hazard recognition skills (e.g. Guarding, slips, etc.)
o Simple problem solving abilities (e.g. job and/or gap analysis, etc.)
o Root Cause Analysis - Participate in 5 whys, cause mapping
o Continuous Improvement at an individual level (e.g. Housekeeping, procedure, etc.)
o Operational Knowledge
o Basic IH Knowledge
OTHER POSITION SPECIFICATIONS:
• Analyzes effectiveness of environmental and safety systems or procedures
• Communicates technical information
• Compiles numerical or statistical data
• Conducts evaluations of worker exposure to radiation/noise
• Confers with engineering, technical or mfg. personnel
• Develops environmental and safety regulations
• Evaluates manufacturing or processing systems
• Follows safe waste disposal procedures
• Inspects facilities or equipment for regulatory compliance
• Makes presentations on health or medical issues
• Performs environmental and safety inspections in mfg. or repair setting
• Prepares environmental and safety reports
• Prepares technical reports or related documentation
• Recommends measures to ensure max. associate protection
• Tests air quality, noise, temperature, or radiation
• Understands engineering data or reports
• Uses hazardous materials information
• Uses knowledge of investigation techniques
• Uses knowledge of materials testing procedures
• Uses pollution control techniques
• Must be willing to travel 0-15% of the time
• Other duties as assigned
Should the selected candidate meet the qualifications of a more experienced level in the career path, the job level may be adjusted.
Altec offers a competitive salary that rewards performance and dedication, along with a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
• Medical, Dental and Prescription Drug Program
• Retirement 401(k) Program
• Vacation and Holidays
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Tuition Assistance Program
• Employee Assistance and Mental Health/Substance Abuse Program
• Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Altec Industries, Inc. and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers and maintain affirmative action plans to recruit, retain, develop, and promote qualified individuals without unlawful consideration of race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Altec strives to maintain a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and harassment, where associates are treated with respect and dignity.