Why Join Altec?
The Altec Media team is looking for a Technical Writer to be based in St. Joseph, Missouri. The incumbent of this position will be responsible for research, development, and editing of information for all manuals including but not limited to operating manuals, component maintenance manuals, instructions, product notifications and other related technical publications.
● Customer First ● Enjoyment of Work ● Family ● Financial Stability ● Integrity ● People Are Our Greatest Strength ● Quality ● Spiritual Development ● Teamwork ●
The job level is able to be adjusted at time of hire, if the candidate meets the qualifications for jobs of a more experienced level in the career path.
- Bachelor's degree required
- Drafting software experience preferred
- Experience in a manufacturing environment preferred
- Demonstrates basic personal computer skills. Strong communication skills; ability to write in a clear, concise format. Good command of the English language.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to deliver high quality documentation paying attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable in text and drawings
- Organize material and complete writing assignment according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology
- Produce high-quality documentation that meets applicable standards and is appropriate for its intended audience. Write in clear, concise, grammatically correct prose to translate engineering information to user/operator and technical service customers using methods to assure optimum communication value
- Review new information to determine other instances where the information is applicable in previously produced documents or if the existing information could be used
- Proofread and modify existing documents to ensure that they are clear and consistent with other documents
- Confer with customers and product development teams to establish technical specifications and to determine subject material to be developed for publication
- Modify and manipulate photographs, drawings, diagrams, and charts to illustrate and support material
- Study drawings, specifications, and units to integrate proper operating procedures, safety considerations, and maintenance procedures into written documents
- Interview production and engineering personnel to become familiar with product specifications, features, and capabilities
- Analyze developments in technology to determine need for revisions in previously published materials
- Review manufacturer's and trade catalogs, drawings, and other data relative to operation, maintenance, and service of equipment
- Works under the guidance of higher level technical writer and/or supervisor. Follows established procedures and formats. Resolves routine problems with limited assistance; requires assistance with non-routine problems
- Member of new product development teams. Attends meetings, provides input on schedules and documentation requirements, and collects information for the development of operator, maintenance, and unit installation manuals
- All other duties as assigned
Sponsorship not available
Altec offers a competitive salary that rewards performance and dedication, along with a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
Medical, Dental and Prescription Drug Program
Retirement 401(k) Program
Vacation and Holidays
Flexible Spending Accounts
Tuition Assistance Program
Employee Assistance and Mental Health/Substance Abuse Program
Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Altec Industries, Inc. and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers and maintain affirmative action plans to recruit, retain, develop, and promote qualified individuals without unlawful consideration of race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Altec strives to maintain a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and harassment, where associates are treated with respect and dignity.