Why Join Altec?
If you're considering a career with Altec, Inc., there's never been a better time to join us! Our Company was founded based upon values that place the customer first, and view people as our greatest strength. Altec has continued to grow, utilizing the same basic values, and over the years, those values have helped us to earn the trust and confidence of our customers worldwide. We remain committed to total customer satisfaction in everything we do. That's why today, Altec is an innovative, financially sound company that is setting the standard of excellence in design, manufacturing and service; and that's why you can rely on us to provide you with the stability of a well managed company.
Altec Inc., founded in 1929, is a privately held company headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama.
Altec specializes in the manufacture, sale and service of aerial devices, digger derricks, cranes and specialty equipment for the electric utility, telecommunications, tree care, construction, and light and sign maintenance industries in more than 120 countries.
At Altec, advanced technology efforts are aimed, without exception, at helping customers work "Safer and Smarter." Altec invests more resources than any other manufacturer in the advancement of safety, reliability, uptime and low cost of ownership.
Our Values Sustain Our Vision:
Altec continues to pursue a singular vision: To be recognized by customers as the preferred supplier of products, services and solutions in all markets we serve. Our values sustain that vision, our goals build upon it and our associates help to achieve it. Altec's values are the cornerstone of our corporate culture and every Altec associate is considered an integral part of Team Altec.
Our Values: Customer First, Enjoyment of Work, Family, Financial Stability, Integrity, People Are Our Greatest Strength, Quality, Spiritual Development, Teamwork.
An exciting opportunity exists for a Payroll Supervisor in Corporate Human Resources. Reporting to the Compensation Manager, this position will be located at the Corporate Office in Birmingham, AL. The purpose, responsibilities and minimum qualifications of the job are as follows:
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Responsible for overseeing the processing of Altec payroll processes. Ensures accurate calculation of wages, tax withholding, and Manages, for all Altec facilities and locations, tasks necessary to complete Altec's payroll processing objectives, including relationships with internal and external auditors, state and federal agencies, as well as the responsibility of payroll preparation/processing, tax reporting, and payroll systems tax maintenance.
• Supervises and guarantees weekly, bi-weekly, and supplemental disbursement of multi-state payroll, including garnishments, benefits, and taxes to all associates consistent with federal, state, and local wage and hour laws
• Reviews and analyzes current payroll, benefits and tax procedures in order to recommend and implement changes leading to best-practice operations
• Oversees regular preparation of relevent weekly, monthly, quarterly, and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, tax deductions)
• Serves as back-up for General Ledger Interface between Oracle and PeopleSoft
• Supervises (directly or dotted-line) Altec Payroll staff
• Works with teams to establish better payroll processes as needed, external sources and internal sources such as Human Resources, Accounting, IT, etc.
• Interfaces with Accounting and IT to troubleshoot any configuration or payroll mapping items/issues
• Communicates with Payroll Outsourcing agents as it pertains to payroll, tax issues and state filing agencies
• Fields calls from multiple Altec Companies and locations regarding questions & issues pertaining to Payroll and taxes
• Reviews wages computed, taxes calculations, and correct errors to ensure accuracy of payroll (Unemployment Insurance Tax, Local State Tax, Occupational Tax, etc.)
• Maintains current knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local wage and hour laws and regulations
• Stays current on payroll systems to achieve proper processing and alignment with Human Resources strategies as it pertains to new hires, benefits, terminations and other payroll related items
• Facilitates communication and understanding of payroll procedures and taxes
• Coordinates and audits of end of year information for W-2 and W-2C processing.
• Coordinates and audits W-4’s, payroll balance sheets, YTD earnings, exempt status for federal and state,
• Reviews taxes quarterly to ensure accuracy
• Assists with projects as needed
• All other duties as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Bachelor’s Degree Required
• Three years minimum experience processing payroll required.
• One year PeopleSoft Payroll experience required, three years preferred.
• Multi-state payroll processing preferred
• PC Skills using Microsoft office spreadsheet and word processing applications required
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills required
• Current valid Driver’s License
• Must be able to work with team members and work with minimal supervision
The job level may be adjusted at the time of hire if the selected candidate meets or exceeds the minimum qualifications of a higher level within the job series.
FINANCIAL BUDGETING, CAPITAL, AND/OR MANPOWER RESPONSIBILITIES:
OTHER POSITION SPECIFICATIONS:
• Demonstrated record of responsibility
• Extremely detail oriented
• Customer Service Oriented
• Motivated, goal oriented and persistent
• Maintain Company confidentiality
• Must handle stress and deadlines well
• Participate in Continuous Improvement Initiatives
• Travel 0-25%
Responsibility for Safety:
• Safety In everything we do
Responsibility to Prevent Errors:
• Ensures appropriate reviews have been performed as needed for high quality
• Continuous attention to all job functions ensuring quality products
Communication with Others:
• Requires outside and inside contacts to carry out company policy and programs; Improper handling will have considerable effect on operational results; Must often deal with matters requiring explanation, persuasion and obtaining of approvals
Altec offers a competitive salary that rewards performance and dedication, along with a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
Medical, Dental and Prescription Drug Program
Retirement 401(k) Program
Vacation and Holidays
Flexible Spending Accounts
Tuition Assistance Program
Employee Assistance and Mental Health/Substance Abuse Program
Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Altec Industries, Inc. and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers and maintain affirmative action plans to recruit, retain, develop, and promote qualified individuals without unlawful consideration of race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Altec strives to maintain a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and harassment, where associates are treated with respect and dignity.