Why Join Altec?
If you're considering a career with Altec, there's never been a better time to join us! Our company was founded on values that place the customer first and prioritize our people as our greatest strength. Over the years, those values and our talented associates have helped us to earn the trust and confidence of customers worldwide. Today, Altec is an innovative, financially sound company that sets the standard of excellence in design, manufacturing and service — and that's why we're the ideal place for you to grow your career.
Founded in 1929, Altec is a privately held company headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama. Altec specializes in the manufacture, sale and service of aerial devices, digger derricks, cranes and specialty equipment for the electric utility, telecommunications, tree care, construction, and light and signs markets. We help our customers dig deeper and reach higher in more than 100 countries around the world.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
This position is to generate new business and ensure growth of existing accounts in a specific geographic region. Assesses potential application of company products and/or services and offers solutions that meet customer needs. Researches and presents reports showing potential customers the cost benefit of purchasing Altec products or services. Provides technical training to clients and communicates customer feedback for future product development. Uses technical knowledge of product offerings to support and build sales.
• Answer customers' questions about products, prices, availability, product uses, and credit terms.
• Arrange for installation and test-operation of machinery.
• Attend sales and trade meetings, and read related publications in order to obtain information about market conditions, business trends, and industry developments.
• Collaborate with colleagues to exchange information such as selling strategies and marketing information.
• Complete expense reports, sales reports, and other paperwork.
• Complete product and development training as required.
• Compute customer's installation or production costs, and estimate savings from new services, products, or equipment.
• Consult with engineers regarding technical problems.
• Contact new and existing customers to discuss their needs, and to explain how these needs could be met by specific products and services.
• Demonstrate and explain the operation and use of products.
• Emphasize product features based on analyses of customers' needs, and on technical knowledge of product capabilities and limitations.
• Identify prospective customers by using business directories, following leads from existing clients, participating in organizations and clubs, and attending trade shows and conferences.
• Inform customers of estimated delivery schedules, service contracts, warranties, or other information pertaining to purchased products.
• Initiate sales campaigns and follow marketing plan guidelines in order to meet sales and production expectations.
• Maintain customer records, using automated systems.
• Negotiate prices and terms of sales and service agreements.
• Obtain specifications for use by engineering departments in bid preparations.
• Prepare sales contracts for orders obtained, and submit orders for processing.
• Prepare sales presentations and proposals that explain product specifications and applications.
• Provide customers with ongoing technical support.
• Provide feedback to company's product design team so that products can be tailored to clients' needs.
• Quote prices, credit terms and other bid specifications.
• Select the correct products or assist customers in making product selections, based on customers' needs, product specifications, and applicable regulations.
• Sell service contracts for products.
• Study information about new products so that product can be accurately depicted and proper recommendations made.
• Verify customers' credit ratings, and appraise equipment in order to determine contract terms and trade-in values.
• Verify that materials lists are accurate and that delivery schedules meet project deadlines.
• Visit establishments to evaluate needs and to promote product or service sales.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Will accept A or B
A Four year Bachelor’s degree required. Engineering, Marketing, Business preferred, and
A One full year cycle as an Altec Sales Representative II or three years proven outside sales experience in a similar industry required.
B Eight full years of proven, successful, applicable outside sales, industry-related experience required.
• Must be available for extensive overnight travel required.
• Current, Valid Commercial Driver’s License required.
• The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking and presenting so that others will understand required.
• PC skills using spreadsheets, word processing, and other office management applications required.
FINANCIAL BUDGETING, CAPITAL, AND/OR MANPOWER RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Determining how money will be spent to get the work done and accounting for those expenditures.
OTHER POSITION SPECIFICATIONS:
• Sales & Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
• Customer & Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Training – Will successfully complete the Product Knowledge and Skills Training as required by Altec.
Altec offers a competitive salary that rewards performance and dedication, along with a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
Altec Industries, Inc. and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers and maintain affirmative action plans to recruit, retain, develop, and promote qualified individuals without unlawful consideration of race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Altec strives to maintain a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and harassment, where associates are treated with respect and dignity.