Why Join Altec?
If you're considering a career with Altec, Inc., there's never been a better time to join us! Our Company was founded based upon values that place the customer first, and view people as our greatest strength. Altec has continued to grow, utilizing the same basic values, and over the years, those values have helped us to earn the trust and confidence of our customers worldwide. We remain committed to total customer satisfaction in everything we do. That's why today, Altec is an innovative, financially sound company that is setting the standard of excellence in design, manufacturing and service; and that's why you can rely on us to provide you with the stability of a well managed company.
Altec Inc., founded in 1929, is a privately held company headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama.
Altec specializes in the manufacture, sale and service of aerial devices, digger derricks, cranes and specialty equipment for the electric utility, telecommunications, tree care, construction, and light and sign maintenance industries in more than 120 countries.
At Altec, advanced technology efforts are aimed, without exception, at helping customers work "Safer and Smarter." Altec invests more resources than any other manufacturer in the advancement of safety, reliability, uptime and low cost of ownership.
Our Values Sustain Our Vision:
Altec continues to pursue a singular vision: To be recognized by customers as the preferred supplier of products, services and solutions in all markets we serve. Our values sustain that vision, our goals build upon it and our associates help to achieve it. Altec's values are the cornerstone of our corporate culture and every Altec associate is considered an integral part of Team Altec.
Our Values: Customer First, Enjoyment of Work, Family, Financial Stability, Integrity, People Are Our Greatest Strength, Quality, Spiritual Development, Teamwork.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Mold, fabricate, weld, prepare or install service truck body components to required specifications; may examine products and materials for defects or deviations from specifications.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES (ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES):
• Provide quality and timely workmanship on each job performed
• Prepare and assemble multiple components together
• Learn and operate all equipment and tools in the department
• Use and conduct proper care of PPE
• Perform re-work as needed
• Read blueprints and specifications
• Learn and follow all work instructions
• Follow established safety, environmental and quality policies, procedures and practices
• Support the Altec Production System (APS) and Lean Manufacturing by minimizing waste and improving performance
• Maintain work area and tools/equipment
• Move to other areas of production within the facility as needed
• Other job duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• High School Diploma/GED required.
• Ability to read, write, and comprehend required.
• Basic computer usage knowledge required.
• Ability to use measuring equipment and read blueprints and schematics preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• General knowledge of the following preferred.
o Manufacturing / Production processes
CERTIFICATION AND TRAINING
Job tasks may be inside or outside, could be exposed to extreme weather conditions.
Moving objects, chemical and mechanical hazards, vibrations and noise
Weld smoke and fumes may exist
Fiber Glass dust may exist
• Flow Meter
• Basic Hand Tools (wrenches, sockets, hammers, pliers, etc.)
• Hose Crimp
• Hydraulic jack stands
• Hydraulic pump
• Impact grinders
• Inspection tools
• Knife / Razors
• Manual/pneumatic impact tools
• Overhead crane
• Pressure Gauges
• Tape Measurers
• Varies by job
• Aerosol Sprays
• Diesel Fuel
• Hydraulic oil
• Multi-Purpose Cleaners
• Paint Hardener
• To be disposed of hazardous waste
• Varies by location and/or job
• Earplugs or Safety Earmuffs
• Safety Glasses / Goggles / Face Shields
• Safety Toe Boots
• Protective Clothing – Altec shirts and long pants at all times
Hand – Arm “B” Foot – Leg “B”
“B” = Both right and left
Strength level: HEAVY
1. Climbing* Occasional
2. Balancing* Occasional
3. Stooping* Frequent
4. Kneeling* Frequent
5. Crouching* Frequent
6. Crawling* Occasional
7. Reaching* Constant
8. Handling* Constant
9. Fingering* Constant
10. Feeling Constant
11. Talking Frequent
12. Hearing Frequent
13. Tasting/smelling Not Required
14. Near acuity* Constant
15. Far acuity* Occasional
16. Depth perception* Frequent
17. Visual accommod.* Not Required
18. Color vision Frequent
19. Field of vision* Frequent
20. Prone position Not Required
21. Twisting Occasional
22. Working from heights Not Required
*Denotes Essential Job Function
N – Not Required
O – Occasional = 1% - 33% (1 – 2 hrs.) (1 – 100 repetitions)
F – Frequent = 34% - 66% (3 – 5 hrs.) (101 – 500 repetitions)
C – Constant = 67% (6 – 8 hrs.) (500+ repetitions)
Constant standing and walking required while installing components. Requires repeatedly alternating between standing, walking and other body positions to perform work.
Occasionally has to walk a maximum distance of 600 ft.
May drive truck for testing.
Maximum weight lifted 75 lb. (occasionally)
Frequent lifting of various components or materials weighing up to 46 lbs. during installation and re-work.
Exerting up to 75 lbs. of force occasionally, or up to 46 lbs. of force frequently to push or pull
Frequent stooping, kneeling and crouching required to install components and perform re-work.
Constant reaching, handling and fingering required using small and large hand tools to bolt, screw or otherwise fasten components together.
In front of body to 36”
To sides of body to 24”
Above shoulders arm length
Below waist to floor
Talking and hearing required between individuals and groups to complete necessary job tasks.
Near acuity, depth perception and visual accommodation required to align, bolt, screw or otherwise install components and to assure quality of surfaces.
Color vision not required.
Altec Industries, Inc. and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers and maintain affirmative action plans to recruit, retain, develop, and promote qualified individuals without unlawful consideration of race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Altec strives to maintain a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and harassment, where associates are treated with respect and dignity.