Why Join Altec?
If you're considering a career with Altec, Inc., there's never been a better time to join us! Our Company was founded based upon values that place the customer first, and view people as our greatest strength. Altec has continued to grow, utilizing the same basic values, and over the years, those values have helped us to earn the trust and confidence of our customers worldwide. We remain committed to total customer satisfaction in everything we do. That's why today, Altec is an innovative, financially sound company that is setting the standard of excellence in design, manufacturing and service; and that's why you can rely on us to provide you with the stability of a well managed company.
Altec Inc., founded in 1929, is a privately held company headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama.
Altec specializes in the manufacture, sale and service of aerial devices, digger derricks, cranes and specialty equipment for the electric utility, telecommunications, tree care, construction, and light and sign maintenance industries in more than 120 countries.
At Altec, advanced technology efforts are aimed, without exception, at helping customers work "Safer and Smarter." Altec invests more resources than any other manufacturer in the advancement of safety, reliability, uptime and low cost of ownership.
Our Values Sustain Our Vision:
Altec continues to pursue a singular vision: To be recognized by customers as the preferred supplier of products, services and solutions in all markets we serve. Our values sustain that vision, our goals build upon it and our associates help to achieve it. Altec's values are the cornerstone of our corporate culture and every Altec associate is considered an integral part of Team Altec.
Our Values: Customer First, Enjoyment of Work, Family, Financial Stability, Integrity, People Are Our Greatest Strength, Quality, Spiritual Development, Teamwork.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Ensures the facility complies with all current environmental and safety regulations. Works to develop, implement, monitor, and manage environmental and safety programs, policies, and procedures. Maintains environmental records and interfaces with regulatory inspectors on behalf of the facility supported. Evaluates the facility’s procedures, facilities & equipment to identify compliance with environmental regulations and Altec environmental policies, programs, and unsafe conditions needing improvement. Identifies & evaluates detrimental working conditions & makes adjustments to safeguard associates’ health. Maintains safety and environmental records.
• Maintains compliance with Air Emission Program, Emission Tracking, and reporting requirements.
• Assists in permitting for Air, Storm Water, and Waste registrations.
• Coordinates and conducts Waste and Storm Water sampling and conducts monthly and bi-weekly storm water audits.
• Conducts environmental and safety training and education programs, and demonstrates the use of safety equipment.
• Serves as the assistant Primary Emergency Response Coordinator and Assistant Spill Team Leader for HAZWOPER certified responders at the facility
• Maintains the MSDS database at the facility.
• Coordinates the maintenance of the spill response equipment and countermeasures at the facility
• Coordinates and communicates "right-to-know" programs regarding hazardous chemicals and other substances and manages the Hazardous Waste Program.
• Conducts Hazardous Waste, Storm Water, and SPCC Audits, per Altec programs and policies.
• Serves as primary contact person with EPA and OSHA regulatory agencies.
• Involved in accident investigations
• Conducts Job Safety Analysis (JSA’s)
• Maintains all Environmental and Safety Governmental records.
• Manages and administers the Altec APSMS system the online (ACMIS) MSDS records for the facility.
• Manages DOT Drug Testing for the facility.
• Leads and coordinates Environmental and Safety Compliance and Worker’s Compensation RCI events.
• Participates in environmental and safety orientation and training for new associates.
• Develops & maintains industrial hygiene programs such as noise surveys, continuous atmosphere monitoring, and ventilation surveys.
• Develops and maintains medical monitoring programs for associates.
• Inspects and evaluates workplace environments, equipment, and practices, in order to ensure compliance with safety standards and government regulations.
• Completes and files all Environmental and Safety regulatory reports and submits required governmental reports for EPA and OSHA compliance.
• Inspects specified areas to ensure the presence of fire prevention equipment, safety equipment, and first-aid supplies.
• Investigates accidents to identify causes and to determine how such accidents might be prevented in the future.
• Investigates health-related complaints, & inspects facilities to ensure that they comply with public health legislation & regulations.
• Maintains and updates emergency response plans and procedures.
• Maintains inventories of hazardous materials & wastes, using waste tracking systems to ensure materials are handled properly.
• Orders suspension of activities that pose potential exposure to workers' health, safety, and/or potential impact to the environment or ecosystems where the facility is located.
• Provides new-employee health and safety orientations, and develop materials for these presentations.
• Interfaces with the Corporate Environmental Manager and Corporate Safety Manager regarding implementation of the Corporate Environmental Program and Corporate Safety Program.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Four year Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Occupational and Safety, Environmental Science, or Environmental Engineering; OR High School diploma plus four years direct applicable experience in Environmental & Safety (i.e. EH&S Coordinator) at an Altec facility in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree required
• Basic S&H Principles – Experience must include understanding of the following:
o Basic application of regulatory standards (OSHA or DOT) - OHSA 30 hours training
o Application of simple hazard assessments (e.g. JHA/JSA)
o Basic Hazard recognition skills (e.g. Guarding, slips, etc.)
o Simple problem solving abilities (e.g. job and/or gap analysis, etc.)
o Root Cause Analysis - Participate in 5 whys, cause mapping
o Continuous Improvement at an individual level (e.g. Housekeeping, procedure, etc.)
o Operational Knowledge
o Basic IH Knowledge
OTHER POSITION SPECIFICATIONS:
• Analyzes effectiveness of environmental and safety systems or procedures
• Communicates technical information
• Compiles numerical or statistical data
• Conducts evaluations of worker exposure to radiation/noise
• Confers with engineering, technical or mfg. personnel
• Develops environmental and safety regulations
• Evaluates manufacturing or processing systems
• Follows safe waste disposal procedures
• Inspects facilities or equipment for regulatory compliance
• Makes presentations on health or medical issues
• Performs environmental and safety inspections in mfg. or repair setting
• Prepares environmental and safety reports
• Prepares technical reports or related documentation
• Recommends measures to ensure max. associate protection
• Tests air quality, noise, temperature, or radiation
• Understands engineering data or reports
• Uses hazardous materials information
• Uses knowledge of investigation techniques
• Uses knowledge of materials testing procedures
• Uses pollution control techniques
• Travel may be required
Altec offers a competitive salary that rewards performance and dedication, along with a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
• Medical, Dental and Prescription Drug Program
• Retirement 401(k) Program
• Vacation and Holidays
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Tuition Assistance Program
• Employee Assistance and Mental Health/Substance Abuse Program
• Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance