Why Join Altec?
Bilingual Applicants Preferred
Altec’s primary products include Aerial Devices, Digger Derricks, Chippers, Cranes, and Specialty Equipment -- Made in America. In addition to our 8 major manufacturing facilities, Altec has three final assembly plants, 40+ service centers and an extensive network of mobile service technicians. Altec products are found across the U.S. and in over 100 countries around the world.
This role requires a highly motivated, people-oriented person able to use technical knowledge and aptitude to communicate information. Responsible for research, development, and editing of information for all manuals to include, for example, operating manuals, component maintenance manuals, instructions, product notifications and other related technical publications.
“Over the years, much has changed. But even more has not. We are as we have always been: a company led by values, powered by people and inspired to be a source of opportunity for those who depend on the performance of our products.”
- Settle in with an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) in an Essential Industry (supporting Utilities, Tree Care, & Telecom)
- Join an industry leader with a critical need for effective technical writing
- Share your passion within a like-minded, collaborative team environment
- Maintain career focus, with growth & development encouraged within Altec
- Competitive Compensation that rewards performance
- Comprehensive Benefits including affordable medical options, dental and vision care, matching 401(k), company-paid Basic Life, wellness programs, company events, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation
- Values that include Enjoyment of Work and Family
- Organize material and complete writing assignment according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology
- Produce high-quality documentation that meets applicable standards and is appropriate for its intended audience. Write in clear, concise, grammatically correct prose to translate engineering information to user/operator and technical service customers using methods to assure optimum communication value
- Document and maintain records of revisions and creations of technical documents
- Track new information and changes to determine in what other instances the information is applicable in previously produced documents or in the development of new
- Proofread and modify existing documents to ensure that they are clear and consistent with other documents
- Confer with customers and product development teams to establish technical specifications and to determine subject material to be developed for publication
- Modify and manipulate photographs, drawings, diagrams, and charts to illustrate and support material
- Study drawings, specifications, and units to integrate proper operating procedures, safety considerations, and maintenance procedures into written documents
- Interview production and engineering personnel to become familiar with product specifications, features, and capabilities
- Analyze developments in technology to determine need for revisions in previously published materials
- Review manufacturer and trade catalogs, drawings, and other data relative to operation, maintenance, and service of equipment
- Works under the guidance of higher-level technical writer and/or supervisor. Follows established procedures and formats. Resolves routine problems with limited assistance; requires assistance with non-routine problems
- Member of new product development teams. Attends meetings, provides input on schedules and documentation requirements, and collects information for the development of operator, maintenance, and unit installation manuals
- Ensures all documentation is accurate and reliable
- All other duties as assigned
Education, Experience, and Skills Required
Candidates meeting experience and qualifications could be brought in at a higher level.
- Bachelor's degree required
- Foreign language (Spanish) preferred
- System administration experience
- XML, DITA or other style sheet coding experience
- CCMS experience
- Possesses strong communication skills; ability to write in a clear, concise format; and good command of the English language
- Ability to deliver high quality documentation paying attention to detail
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable in text and drawings
- Proficiency in software tools to write, edit, design, and layout professional technical documents
- Travel 0-25%
Family-owned since 1929, Altec has the reach and resources of a large organization with the heart of a local firm. “More than just building equipment, we also build relationships.” Safety is a primary responsibility in everything we do as is support of the Altec Company Values: Customer First - Enjoyment of Work - Family - Financial Stability - Integrity - People are our Greatest Strength - Quality - Spiritual Development – Teamwork
We are there from the engineered design, through manufacturing and final assembly, with technical sales support and solution-driven direct sales. Forward-thinking marketing and R&D build for the future. And the Service Group is there for the life of the equipment with troubleshooting and repair, parts, and product support.